Not a coffee drinker? I understand. While today I’m quite a coffee enthusiast, there was a time when I too would avoid it. So how do you reap the benefits of bulletproof coffee… minus the coffee? Short of eating straight butter and oil, the answer is this bulletproof chai which once blended becomes creamy and frothy like a latte! I fully expected this drink not to work, but surprisingly, it was great!
Here’s what’s you need:
- 2-4 bags chai tea
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 Tbs heavy cream (optional)
- 1-2 packets truvia (also optional)
- Dash of cinnamon (also also optional)
Here’s what you do:
- We need to brew a very strong cup of chai tea – there are many ways to do this, but the easiest is to heat a cup of water and add 2-4 tea bags (depending on how strong you like it), and let it steep for 3-4 minutes.
- Do not leave the tea bags in the tea.
- In a blender, put the butter, coconut oil, whipping cream, cinnamon, and truvia.
- Pour the strong chai over the items in the blender.
- Blend on high for 8 seconds, let the mixture settle, then you may choose to blend a little more.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!
Posted in Drinks, Recipes
Tagged atkins, beverage, breakfast, bulletproof, bulletproof chai, bulletproof coffee, chai, chai tea, coffee drinker, diet, drink, high fat, keto, ketosis, latte, low carb, Tbs butter, tea
If you’ve been doing your research on Keto, you may have heard of something called Bulletproof Coffee (BPC). While it seems everyone loves this stuff, it is seldom explained fully. It took me a good day or two on the message boards to realize BPC was the abbreviation for it. So why should you be excited about Bulletproof Coffee? I’ll tell you!
Bulletproof Coffee is a drink that combines coffee, butter, and coconut or MCT oil (super high fat oil), and often heavy cream. Sounds pretty nasty when you put it like that but stay with me. The mixture is blended (this is the most important part) and becomes creamy and frothy like a latte! Not only is this drink delicious, it is loaded with enough fat that it is all some people need for breakfast (lol not me). It also helps wake you up in the morning, and can help with one of the not-so-fun Keto side effects: constipation. On top of all that, it has zero carbs and is quick and easy to make!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup of hot, fresh coffee (different sites will try to sell you special coffee, I say just make sure you buy fair trade)
- 1 TBS butter (I prefer Kerrygold grass fed salted)
- 1 TBS Coconut oil (you can use MCT oil but it will be far less, about 1 tsp. I prefer coconut oil)
- 1 TBS Heavy Cream (optional)
Here’s how you do it:
- Brew your cup of coffee as you normally would. French press, drip, whatever you like.
- Put the butter, coconut oil, and heavy cream in the blender.
- Pour the hot coffee into the blender. You’ll see as the oils start to melt that oil is sitting on the top. Don’t worry, this goes away.
- Blend on high for 10 second or so or until you see a frothy foam forming on top.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!
Posted in Drinks, Recipes, Uncategorized
Tagged atkins, bulletproof, bulletproof coffee, coffee, diet, drink, fat loss, high fat, keto, ketogenic, ketogenic diet, ketosis, lifestyle, low carb, morning, no carb, paleo, recipe, weight loss
Well…I started keto. Amy came out from Atlanta and visited for the weekend, so it was awesome having her around to guide me. Once she got
to Birmingham, we set out grocery shopping. We found a bunch of things like pasta and bread that had low net carbs that we are going to try. One thing Amy missed was drinking stuff other than water, so we decided to make some keto-friendly lemonade.
This stuff was awesome and really easy to make. You just juice lemons, add Truvia (or your sugar substitute of choice), and add as much water as you want until it tastes good to you. Once you have your lemonade, you can add some iced tea to make an arnold palmer or some vodka to make it a party!
12 small lemons
7 packets Truvia (about 5-1/4 tsp Truvia or 4 2/3 Tbsp sugar)
1 quart water
Juice all the lemons. Filter out the seeds and pulp and pour into a large container. Add the Truvia. Add water until it tastes right to you. We used about 1 quart. Add more sugar substitute or lemon juice until it tastes killer. Refrigerate or serve immediately over ice. Enjoy!