If you’ve been doing your research on Keto, you may have heard of something called Bulletproof Coffee (BPC). While it seems everyone loves this stuff, it is seldom explained fully. It took me a good day or two on the message boards to realize BPC was the abbreviation for it. So why should you be excited about Bulletproof Coffee? I’ll tell you!
Bulletproof Coffee is a drink that combines coffee, butter, and coconut or MCT oil (super high fat oil), and often heavy cream. Sounds pretty nasty when you put it like that but stay with me. The mixture is blended (this is the most important part) and becomes creamy and frothy like a latte! Not only is this drink delicious, it is loaded with enough fat that it is all some people need for breakfast (lol not me). It also helps wake you up in the morning, and can help with one of the not-so-fun Keto side effects: constipation. On top of all that, it has zero carbs and is quick and easy to make!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup of hot, fresh coffee (different sites will try to sell you special coffee, I say just make sure you buy fair trade)
- 1 TBS butter (I prefer Kerrygold grass fed salted)
- 1 TBS Coconut oil (you can use MCT oil but it will be far less, about 1 tsp. I prefer coconut oil)
- 1 TBS Heavy Cream (optional)
Here’s how you do it:
- Brew your cup of coffee as you normally would. French press, drip, whatever you like.
- Put the butter, coconut oil, and heavy cream in the blender.
- Pour the hot coffee into the blender. You’ll see as the oils start to melt that oil is sitting on the top. Don’t worry, this goes away.
- Blend on high for 10 second or so or until you see a frothy foam forming on top.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!